Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My Dreams and Aspirations (part 2)

Hope everyone had a good weekend. This return to winter weather has been a huge kick in the balls. I got to go to the beach last week though. I honestly plan to go to the beach every day off this summer (probably won't happen) BUT I'M GONNA TRY.

Jerry asked me to be a little bit more specific about what I wanted to do in my life. I'm still unsure about what I want to do in my professional life. I'm a senior in college, switching my major for the third time -_-, so I'm gonna be there for another year. Which is okay because the job market isn't looking too great anyways.  I want to do something that has to do with technology, so I'm majoring in information systems. My number one dream job would to be to work for the Red Sox. I'm a huge baseball fan, and I really like all the statistics and nerdy parts of it, so I'd love to work with their database systems and statistical analysis department. Be prepared for some random baseball posts in a couple of weeks after the season starts.

Before I started writing this, I read My Double Life's blog (http://socrkid17.blogspot.com/) . I remember him mentioning the thought of having kids. Up until that point, I told myself that if I came out, I'd have to make a compromise and not have children. Children can be terrible to each other; I could only imagine what they'd say to a kid with two dads. But my opinion on that is changing. Having children is one of the greatest things a person could do; if I didn't have one, what else would I really do with my life? I want a family. And I shouldn't be denied that privilege because some other people aren't accepting. I'm lucky that I live in Massachusetts.

1 comment:

  1. BC: One of the misconceptions I often hear is how gays can't have a "normal" life -- can't get married, can't have kids, can't have a family or make a happy home or the flip side, are destined to be unhappy, alone, or end up catching some kind of STD and die early.

    This is of course nonsense, because many gays have lived satisfied and positive lives. Your personal mantra should be "Life without limitations" because you can attain many of these personal goals to go along with your professional ones. Will it be easy? No. Will they be thru conventional means? Probably not. But don't compromise or settle so early when you haven't even started yet.

    I do think it's a good idea to verbalize what your goals are so you can actively work towards them, rather than hope they magically fall into place. Sometimes luck does come into play but you also can increase the likelihood of success if you know what you want, have a plan on how to get there, and start taking steps to make your dreams come true.

    It's also OK to have a general sense of where you are headed while still refining your aspirations because those goals change as you mature and get more life experience under your belt.

    ReplyDelete